Saturday, March 29, 2014

Honor

Today I joined hundreds of others at church for the 100th birthday celebration of Irv Mandley.  The fellowship hall was packed with family and friends from around the country.  It was really incredible to see so many who love and honor this true man of God.  My personal history with Bro. and Sis. Mandley goes back 33 years ago, when I first came into the church.

Sis. Mandley was the first person to come and visit me in the hospital after giving birth to Leah.  She became my "mother in the Lord," and saw me through some of the most difficult times in my life.   She and Bro. Mandley would come to my apartment on Simpson Street and help clean or do whatever was needed to be done before Leah was born.  She even got down on her hands and knees one day to wash the kitchen floor - I never will forget that.  They drove me to appointments or wherever I needed to go and would regularly invite my children and I over for meals.  When I had to travel to Minnesota to get married, she was one of just a few who never gave up on me.  She gave me Sis. Luke's corsage to wear and baked a cake for the wedding.  They have stood by, defended and scolded me when I needed it.  They really have been my "parents" in Madison all these years.

Bro. Mandley was always right beside her, saying very little, but supporting her and all of her endeavors.  He was always a quiet, gentle man and I wasn't used to that, as my dad was the opposite.  I eventually understood that he was simply shy.  I kissed the top of his fuzzy head today and felt a surge of love for him.  I had never done that before, and today it just felt right.

The two of them together taught me more about what it is to be a Christian than anyone else. They helped, fed, clothed, counseled, taught and ministered to so many people that it would be impossible to number.  And yet very rarely did they ever receive public recognition for how they lived - but I'm sure they would insist that it should be that way anyhow.  In my eyes, these people are the unsung heroes to my family and so many countless others.

So today, I want to "give honor to whom honor is due," in my very small way through this blog.  I am eternally grateful for the life lessons of love they have imparted to my children and I.  I am so thankful that God saw fit to pair us up as a "family" so many years ago.




1 comment: