As I was walking Bobby today, I couldn't help but notice how beautiful it was outside. The sun was shining, there was a light breeze and the temperature was in the upper 60's. In February. Yes, I have to admit, I do love that there is no snow, no ice and no freezing rain here. It does get cold and it does get wet and sometimes it's wet and cold - but nothing like you experience in Illinois or Wisconsin. This has been a nice switch for winter - I think I like it. Now in Florida, it was similar during this time of year, but the humidity level canceled out any pleasantness I could find. The humidity there is like a furnace - hot or cold - it's always humid. That's great if you like taking several showers a day, or if you enjoy being in a constant sauna - I didn't. When I left, my lungs gave me a standing ovation with a huge sigh of relief, and I even welcomed the ridiculous Wisconsin winter in exchange.
I noticed on the walk that some of the trees were bare, several had some leaves and others were fully green. I thought that was interesting. The leaves did fall for a month or two, but I see that they're already budding and most of the trees, never lost their leaves. The birch trees in the courtyard (my favorite) are bare, but I would guess with this warmer weather, they'll be growing in no time. I attached a few photos of my walk and the trees below.
I finally met Pastor Haney this morning after service. He's a kind and soft spoken man, and an excellent preacher, so I feel very blessed to be sitting under him. We had a really nice, long talk and I learned some things I hadn't known before. We talked about Judaism and how Hebrew has different historical variations, and other topics regarding my own heritage. He has a great love for the Jewish people and has been to Israel several times. One day, I would love to make that trip myself.
I've also noticed that I must have reached the age of "maturity." Or maybe I should say, "Senior Citizen." I was in a little carry-out restaurant yesterday and I sat with three men - young men - who I would describe as "thuggish." You know what I mean. They were talking about their wives or girlfriends and how and what they should do about Valentine's Day, laughing and cutting up. One of the men started to swear, caught himself (I assume, because I was sitting there), and used a non-swear word to describe his frustration. I smiled to myself. When my food was ready, I got up to leave and I turned and looked at these three guys and said, "You know what? The things your girlfriends or wives really want, is your attention, your love and your respect." And I looked down at the one who was sitting next to me who was married but was flirting with a customer, and I said, "And, NO CHEATING." Their responses were so funny. They said, "Yeah, dude - she's right - I told you, blah, blah, blah..." and I chuckled to myself as I left. They were so respectful of me as I sat there, and I'm sure it's because of my age. I laughed when I thought about it. I could have been a mother to one of them.
Tonight, as I came home from church, it was dark and I was walking Bobby in front of my apartment, and a guy came driving up with his stereo blasting and I just stood there with my back to him watching for Bobby to do his business. When the guy turned his car off and got out, I asked him, "Do you...?" "WHAT???!! Oh man!! I didn't see you standing there! Man, if I knew you were there, I would have turned the music down! Man, I'm sorry!!" I told him that was not a problem and apologized for startling him and said I was just wondering if the Super Bowl was over yet. He told me it was and kept apologizing and then asked to be excused as he brought his food up to his apartment. I had to laugh again. The thing I find so funny about this, is that these guys are probably and usually up to no good, but obviously, I've gotten to the age where they see me as their mother or grandmother and just like they wouldn't be disrespectful toward them - they don't want to be disrespectful toward me. It's actually refreshing and I love it!
Stockton has won a reprieve with me.
As always, a great post!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
Thanks, Pete! Did you get the video I IM'd you?
ReplyDelete